Sewing is a past time that’s fun for many ages. Men, women, teens and young adults find that it’s not only a great hobby, but also a great creative outlet that produces useful projects. In a previous blog, we talked about making a tablet cover. Even if you’re a beginner sewer, you’ll find that it is an easy DIY project great for yourself or for gifts.
Another simple, yet beautiful project is sewing your own throw pillows. Again, these are great for yourself, whether you use them on your couch, bed or other area of your home, or for a gift. During our two-part series, you’ll find that making your own pillows will be a breeze. Never again will you spend countless shopping trips searching for the perfect ones to round out your décor. Now, you can just choose a gorgeous designer fabric and sew your own!
In our next blog post, you’ll find a step by step tutorial that will help you construct throw pillows that can be used for years. Today, we feature a list of materials and sewing notions needed for this task. If at any point during this construction you need to visit our fabric stores in Portland or have questions, contact us or stop by!
Materials | Sewing Notions Portland
- Five fabrics
- Fabric one – 1 x fat eighth (10” x 20”)
- Fabric two, three, four, five – 25cms (10”) across the width of the fabric
- Linen Background – 2 x 17” squares
- Batting – 4 x 17” squares
- Fusible webbing
- Thread to match chosen fabrics
- 2x12” zipper that matches project
- 2x16” cushion inserts
Cutting the Fabric
- Fabric one should be cut into a 1 x 3½” circle
- Fabric two & three should be cut into 4 x 2¼” circles
- Fabric four & five should be cut into 8 x 1¾” circles
- Cut out the fabrics for the back of the cushion first
- Fabrics two and five should be cut with a 1 x 4¾” x 17” strip
- Fabrics three and four should be cut with a cut 1 x 4½” x 17” strip
- Trace circles cut from fabrics one, two, three, four and five onto fusible webbing
- Cut these traces out
- Trace around each of these templates onto the paper side of fusible webbing
Now that you have your list of materials and sewing notions, be sure to stop by our fabric store and get all the materials you need before moving on to our next blog post! We will have a step by step tutorial, walking you through the ins and outs of making your own throw pillows!
Josephine's Dry Goods | Sewing Notions Portland
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following fabric and sewing notions in Portland:
- Liberty of London Fabric (cotton lawns & poplins, silks, jerseys, wools & twills)
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese denim
- Luxurious fabric blends
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
You’ll fall in love with the fabrics and sewing notions in Portland we have, in store! We strive to inspire your creativity with the highest quality fabrics available. To find out more about our prices and production schedule, be sure to call soon!