We are back with the last part of our three part series! Now that you have your garment sewed and ready, the last two tasks are adding trim fabric in Portland OR and dyeing it your choice of color! If you don’t want a trim and/or purchased a jersey knit in a color you love, don’t worry about this stage! You’re ready to wash, dry and wear!
Dyeing Your Fabric in Portland OR
Once you’ve decided on a color to use, it’s time to get started mixing it together. If you can’t find the perfect shade, consider mixing them together. RIT and other dye brands have color guides and formulas to follow that will help create the best color for your garment.
Once you decide, use a whole package of the color of your choice (and more of another if you’d like).
You’ll also need a large tin pail or bin to mix the dye in. Anything else might turn the color of the mixture!
- Put the package of dye into the glass of hot water
- Mix well
- Add dye mixture into the 4 gallons of hot water
- Mix the dye and water together well
- Throw in the dress
- Be sure you keep the fabric constantly moving. Otherwise, you’ll end up with an uneven looking garment. The dye will be darker in some areas than others.
- Depending on the color you’d like to achieve, you might only need to keep the dress in the dye for two to three minutes.
- Rinse out all the dye
- Wash in the machine
A great way to add interest to the bottom of your maxi dress is to add trim fabric to the bottom. This will be a great addition if you’re looking for something dressier. You don’t have to add it, but if you’d like to, follow the directions, below!
Adding Trim | Fabric in Portland OR
- Cut eight inch strips of trim fabric
- Sew them together, making a 65 inch by 8 inch wide fabric panel
- Fold in half and iron
- Cut 8" strips of your trim fabric
- Sew together strips until you have a 65" long by 8" wide panel of fabric
- Iron in half
- Pin the trim fabric around the width of the bottom of the maxi dress
- Make sure to pin right sides together
- Stitch the trim fabric all the way around
- Admire your work!
Missed other blogs in this three part series? Visit with them, below:
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part One
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part Two
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part Three
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following:
- Liberty Fabric
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese denim
- Best fabric in Portland OR
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
You’ll fall in love with the fabrics we have readily available for you! To find out more about our prices and production schedule, be sure to call soon!
Contact us if you have any questions about the finest fabrics and accessories that we also offer. We strive to inspire your creativity with the highest quality fabrics available. Contact us today to talk with our experts!