Are you ready to start venturing out into the sewing world? If so, one of the easiest projects to try is making a tablet cover. You’ll not only enjoy sewing this cover, you’ll also be able to use it time and time again, or give it as a gift! Just choose the fabric in Portland you'd like to work with and get started. Below, you’ll find step by step instructions on how to make your very own tablet cover!
Make Your Own Tablet Cover With Your Favorite Fabric in Portland!
If you have trouble finding any of the materials below, stop by our fabric store in Portland. We have everything you’ll need and more!
- Zipper to size
- Dressmaker pen or chalk
- Dimensions of tablet
- 2 pieces of wadding, cut to fit tablet measurements
- 2 pieces of printed fine fabric, cut to fit tablet measurements
- 2 pieces of plain fabric, cut to fit tablet measurements
Cutting Your Fine Fabrics
- Measure and cut out the two pieces of printed fine fabric.
- Measure and cut two pieces of plain fabric.
- Measure and cut two pieces of wadding.
- Draw diagonal lines on plain fabric.
- Repeat in the other direction so you have a criss-cross diamond pattern.
Layering the Fabric
- Lay first piece of fabric down, wrong side up.
- Layer in a piece of wadding.
- Lay second piece of fabric right side up.
- Secure with pins.
- Repeat with other three pieces of fabric.
- You’ll end up with two individual pieces.
Quilting the Fabric
- Quilt fabric pieces using the quilting setting on your sewing machine.
- Make sure to use a medium sized stitch.
- Sew along edges of the plain side of fabric.
Sewing the Closure
- Using one quilted fabric piece, place the zipper right side down.
- Pin the zipper in place.
- Sew the zipper to the fine fabric.
- Repeat with other quilted fabric piece.
- Make sure they’re able to join.
- With fine fabric prints facing each other, close the zipper three fourths of the way.
- Fold together the quilted pieces.
- Sew around remaining three edges.
- Be sure to leave a half a centimeter of seam allowance.
- Turn case right side out.
- Give it a quick, cool ironing to get a perfect, wrinkle free finish.
- Check the zipper to make sure it works.
Congrats! You’ve successfully made your very own tablet case from your favorite fabric in Portland!
Remember, this project can fit any size tablet or hand held device. Just be sure to do correct, precise measurements of the device of choice before cutting and sewing your fine fabric. You can even mix and match to create a personalized look that’s unique and fits your style or personality! Experimenting with various Liberty of London Fabric is a great way to think outside the box and get creative! Don’t stop at making a tablet cover, either! Make a case for your phone, laptop and more!
FABRIC IN PORTLAND | LIBERTY OF LONDON FABRIC | DESIGNER FABRIC
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with Japanese cotton fabric and other types of material, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabric to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! Contact us today to talk with our experts about the best fabric in Portland!