With wedding season in full force, it’s possible your significant other might need a pocket square to go with their suit. Of course, having one that matches your ensemble is key, but oftentimes, we can’t find the right pattern or shade that coordinates well. That’s when making your own will come in handy! Below, you’ll find a step-by-step, easy tutorial to help you sew a pocket square in no time!
Sew Your Own Pocket Square! | Fabric Portland OR
First off, before doing any work, visit your favorite fabric store and choose your material. This can be any type of material you want to use. Pick a pattern that matches your outfit or one that contrasts to add an extra detail.
Instructions | Fabric Portland OR
- Cut the fabric into 15 or 20 inches, depending on the size you’d like to make.
- Be sure you have at least a fourth of an inch seam allowance.
- Use a sharp pair of scissors or rotary cutter to cut with.
- Make sure you cut the square with straight lines so that it will fold properly when completed.
- Roll edges of the cut square so that they are neat. No raw edges should be showing. Stitch a slip stitch next to the hem.
- Use small and regular stitches for this.
- Stitch all four sides.
- Keep corners tucked in and secure.
- If you need extra stitches to ensure the ends are secured, add them before finishing.
- Fold the pocket square and place it in the front jacket pocket of the suit.
Congrats! This is an easy sewing project for beginners but it’s also one that will come in handy many times during the year. Especially during wedding season! Everyone loves a nice personalized pocket square that coordinates well with the rest of an outfit!
Sewing is a fun hobby that not only offers a great creative outlet but one that has an end result that is useful and thoughtful. Whether you’re sewing projects for yourself or family and friends, you’ll love learning to make new things all the time.
At Josephine’s Dry Goods, we love offering tutorials for sewing projects. Be sure to stay tuned for our next blog and learn more about the world of sewing and creating!
Josephine's Dry Goods | Fabric Portland OR
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with the best fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabric in Portland OR to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following:
- Liberty Fabric (cotton lawns & poplins, silks, jerseys, wools & twills)
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese denim
- Designer fabrics
- Luxurious fabric blends
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
To find out more about our prices, fabric in Portland OR and production schedule, be sure to call soon!