Adding trim to your garment, to finish off or define the edges is a great way to add color and texture to your sewing project. This enhancement is called piping. You can purchase piping at your local fabric stores in Portland OR, or you can make it yourself with a Designer fabric of your choice. Whatever you decide on, this addition to the edges will be gorgeous! In addition to using this technique for clothing, you can also add it to upholstery and throw pillows.
Piping | Designer Fabric
Oftentimes, when we think of piping, we consider Western wear. This technique is what gives this style its well-known embroidered looking details around shirt pockets, buttons and more. For those that aren’t interested in Western wear, using piping is also a great finish for other styles, as well.
Piping that is bought in the store is often boring, but once you spice it up by covering it with designer fabric of your choice, you’ll be pleased with the end results!
To start, gather the following materials:
- Designer fabric of your choice
- Regular zipper foot
- Store bought piping
Cutting Instructions for Your Designer Fabric
- Measure the garment’s seam allowance and piping diameter.
- Double the piping diameter and then double the the measurements from the seam allowance. Add those numbers together to know how much fabric will be needed to cover the piping.
- Using your scissors, cut the length of fabric you’ll need on a bias strip.
- Don’t hesitate to cut several different strips of fabric if your piping length is long. You can piece the strips together to form the right length.
- If you must piece fabric together, cut ends at a 45 degree angle.
- Trim seam allowances.
- On the incorrect side of the bias strip of fabric, add piping.
- Then, correspond the raw edges and wrap the strip around piping.
- Pin as needed to keep everything in place.
Sewing the Piping
A regular zipper foot with a right-sided set needle will be needed to ensure you sew close enough to the piping. To finish it off the project, sew along the entire length of the fabric strip.
Are you ready to start creating your own piping? If so, good luck! We know you’ll do well. If you have questions, contact our experts.
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following:
- Liberty of London Fabric (cotton lawns & poplins, silks, jerseys, wools & twills)
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese denim
- Luxurious fabric blends
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
You’ll fall in love with the designer fabric we have readily available for you! We strive to inspire your creativity with the most quality materials available. To find out more about our fabric store in Portland, prices and production schedule, be sure to call soon!