Summer is coming and we know how much ladies love maxi dresses! Why wouldn’t we? They’re fashionable, easy to wear and quite comfortable. You can turn a simple maxi dress from daytime wear to nighttime wear in no time at all. Just change the shoe choice, accessories and add a dramatic flair to your makeup and you’ve switched from one outfit to two on summer vacation this year. If you really want to add a nighttime flair, add a metallic belt to the dress.
Sew Your Own Boho Maxi | Liberty Fabric
For those that are interested in sewing your own dresses from the finest Liberty fabrics available, we’ve got a great tutorial for you. It’s quick, easy and leaves you with a beautiful boho maxi dress that will come in handy all summer long!
- Dye (color of your choice)
- Jersey Knit – 1 4/5 yard (60 inches wide)
- Trim Fabric – 1/3 yard
- Large Tin Bucket or Bin
When purchasing your jersey knit, make sure to get a lightweight version. Heavy jersey knit can cause your maxi dress to look unfashionable and large.
If you’ve heard any nightmares about sewing with knits, we can understand you might be worried. Fortunately, because of the type of jersey knit we are using, it’s actually rather forgiving. And, just think of the beautiful garment you’ll be making with it! It’s worth a try. Even if you only do this for the comfortable, breezy dress you’ll get out of the process, you won’t be sorry when it turns out great!
Before jumping into the sewing instructions, let’s just go over a few key tips about sewing with knit. That way, you can get more familiar with it before you start your project.
- Don’t force the knit when feeding the machine. The material will want to go along easily, at its own pace.
- Because the material is stretchy, you’ll want to use a stitch that allows stretching. A stretch stitch or zig zag stitch will be best. Refrain from using a straight stitch.
- Puckering can be a problem when working with knit. To avoid this issue, use a walking foot and ball point needle.
- To make things easier, leave the edges raw. Knit won’t fray, so you can eliminate an entire step of sewing if you’d like to!
We hope this information helps you get started with what you’ll need to sew your very own boho maxi dress! In our next blog post, you’ll find the tutorial on how to get the sewing part started! If you don’t have any of the sewing notions or Liberty fabric needed for this project, please be sure to visit our fabric stores in Portland! We have everything you’ll need.
Interested in learning more? Contact us! In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! Contact us today to talk with our experts!
Missed other blogs in this three part series? Visit with them, below:
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part One
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part Two
- Make Your Own Boho Maxi, Part Three