A long, easily removed stitch that helps to hold fabric, zippers and more in place before permanently attaching them is called a basting stitch. This technique is very popular and great for saving time and effort.
Today, we are going to learn all about a basting stitch, what type of sewing notions in Portland OR you'll need, as well as how to sew one.
Basting Stitch | Sewing Notions in Portland OR
Basting by hand is much easier to handle than doing so with a machine. You’ll not only be able to remove it with no trouble, you’ll also be capable of controlling the stitch more efficiently without worry of sewing too close to the seam allowance.
To hand baste, you’ll want to use a running stitch. This is the best option and most simply removed. Below you’ll find a tutorial on how to stitch this baste.
How to Hand Baste | Sewing Notions in Portland OR
- Just like you were getting ready to sew the fabric together, place the pieces to fit perfectly. Then, pin it together.
- Thread your hand needle. Then, knot it.
- Make sure the knot is placed on the edge of the fabric. That way, it won’t bother the machine stitching.
- Don’t sew directly over the basting. Doing so might result in difficult removal and could cause the final stitching to be compromised and weak.
- Only baste right inside the seam allowance marking.
- Take the sewing needle and place it through the other side of your fabric. Then, bring the needle back up to the beginning side of fabric, where you started.
- Keep repeating this technique until the area of choice is compete. Remember, these stitches can be easily removed so using them for temporary reasons is best.
Quick Tip: To make sure you can see the basting, use a thread color that’s contrasting to the fabric and other permanent stitching. That way you can identify it easily without ruining other work.
To learn more about basting and reasons why you might need it for your project, visit back with our next blog post, soon!
LIBERTY OF LONDON FABRIC | Sewing Notions in Portland OR
In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following:
- Liberty of London Fabric (cotton lawns & poplins, silks, jerseys, wools & twills)
- The best sewing notions in Portland OR
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese denim
- Luxurious fabric blends
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
You’ll fall in love with the fabrics we have readily available for you! We strive to inspire your creativity with the highest quality fabrics available. To find out more about our prices and production schedule, be sure to call soon!