Welcome back! In our previous blog post we talked about basting and what it is. Today, we are going to talk more about why you might need to use this method during your project.
Remember, basting is stitches that are long and easy to remove. You can do this technique by hand or by using the sewing machine. However you choose, the stitches temporarily sew pieces of fabric together.
If you're more interested in sewing notions and materials, stop by one of the best fabric stores in Portland OR, Josephine's Dry Goods!
Reasons For Basting | Fabric Stores in Portland OR
Below, you’ll find several reasons why you might want to use basting to help you during your next sewing project.
- · Work two layers of fabric as one by basting them together. Then, as you need to remove extra bulk, take the basting out.
- · Sewing a zipper can be difficult. Basting it in first helps to hold it in the right spot before permanently attaching it.
- · Fabric that easily slips can be held together without issues using a basting stitch. You can then stitch regularly and remove the basting after you’ve completed.
· Basting allows you to test the fitting of a blouse or skirt before permanently adding darts or side seams. Choosing to do a regular stitch first might result in having to redo. Basting stitches, as we mentioned are much easier to remove than regular.
Fine Fabrics | Fabric Stores in Portland OR
In addition to providing you with the finest fabrics and accessories, we also offer couture clothing services for those that aren’t able to create garments. We understand how busy life can be. That’s why we offer you a way to bring your visions for our fabrics to life, without having to take time out of your day to do so! We are excited to continue to offer you the following:
- Liberty of London Fabric (lawn fabric & poplins, silks, jerseys, wools & twills)
- Creative trim
- Distinctive ribbons
- French laces
- Inspiring knits
- Italian wools
- Japanese cotton fabric and denim
- Luxurious fabric blends
- Scrumptious silks
- The world’s finest linens
- Unique buttons
You’ll fall in love with the fabrics we have readily available for you! We strive to inspire your creativity with the highest quality fabrics available. To find out more about our fabric stores in Portland OR, prices and production schedule, be sure to call soon!